BEST PAPER NOMINATION
People often search to web to find solutions to problems beyond factual question, such as planning road trips, writing an report, or buying a new camera. The Knowledge Accelerator uses crowdworkers to synthesize different information sources on the web in response to a query. We prototyped this system in order to explore crowdsourcing complex, high context tasks in a microtask environment.
Crowdsourcing offers a powerful new paradigm for onlinework. However, real world tasks are often interdependent,requiring a big picture view of the difference pieces involved. Existing crowdsourcing approaches that support such tasks – ranging from Wikipedia to flash teams – are bottleneckedby relying on a small number of individuals to maintain thebig picture. In this paper, we explore the idea that a computational system can scaffold an emerging interdependent,big picture view entirely through the small contributions ofindividuals, each of whom sees only a part of the whole. Toinvestigate the viability, strengths, and weaknesses of this approach we instantiate the idea in a prototype system for accomplishing distributed information synthesis and evaluateits output across a variety of topics. We also contribute a setof design patterns that may be informative for other systemsaimed at supporting big picture thinking in small pieces.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Crowdsourcing work? Get rid of the human supervisor
- Campus Technology: Research Project Mixes Humans and Machines for Better Crowdsourcing
- Neuraoscience News: Crowd Augmented Cognition: Combining Human and Machine Intelligence to Accelerate Learning
- DZone: Research Suggests AI Managers Effective for Crowdsourcing
- PhysOrg: Crowd-augmented cognition: Team develops tools that combine human and machine intelligence to accelerate learning
- TechExplore: Big thinking in small pieces: Computer guides humans in crowdsourced research
- Spend Matters: Crowdsourcing and Cognitive Computing: Are You Ready for the Future of Work?
- Science Daily: Crowd-augmented cognition - combine human, machine intelligence to accelerate learning
- EurekAlert: Big thinking in small pieces: Computer guides humans in crowdsourced research
- EurekAlert: Crowd-augmented cognition
- NSF News: Big thinking in small pieces: Computer guides humans in crowdsourced research
- NSF News: Crowd-augmented cognition
- CMU SCS News: Big thinking in small pieces: Computer guides humans in crowdsourced research
- CMU HCII News: Computer Guides Humans in Crowdsourced Research
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17